Friday, December 23, 2005

My Family Tree

There are people out there who wish to destroy the wonder and joy of the Christmas tree.
Sad.
Now there are those that are trying to be politically correct and call it a Holiday tree.
I have recently been getting a few emails stating that the Christmas tree is not a Holiday tree but a CHRISTmas tree.

Well, it is not a Holiday tree
And it is not a CHRISTmas tree.

It is an evergreen tree and a symbol of rebirth and life.

The whole concept of a tree being decorated, originally in fruits, at this time of year was not started by the Christians, but by the pagans. The Catholic Church adopted the winter pagan tree tradition (along with many other pagan traditions) in order to smooth over the transition of Christian conversion. They then, many people claim (but I am no authority on this), moved the date of Jesus’ birthday to the now known Christmas time to coincide with the rebirth theory. Many people claim he was actually born in March (but I have no real truth to that). (Even Santa is a pagan tradition that has continued to this day.)

The tree is Evergreen, symbolizing continued life in the darkness of winter and was put up AFTER the Winter Solstice (on the 22 in Japan this year), the longest night of the year. Supposedly the new year has really begun starting then because the days are getting longer. Personally, also colder but the scientists are positive there is more light.

I don’t attend church at Christmas (last time I did I burnt my hair, but that is another post), and I don’t celebrate Jesus’ birth; I celebrate family, love, life, holidays, eat toooooo much and even though it can be stressful, I love every minute of it.

We decorate an evergreen tree every year and call it our Christmas tree, but really it is our family tree; as a family we decorate it and all of its ornaments have been made or collected by my family.
There is nothing better than curling up on the sofa and reading a book using the twinkling lights of my family tree.

It doesn’t matter where you are from or what your religion, the Christmas tree means the same; rebirth of a new year, family, friends, fun, a bit of mystery, and holiday joys.

So to all my family, all my friends and to all the cyber people I have met and loved,

HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS

Enjoy your holiday sitting around your Christmas/Holiday/Family Tree, rip the wrapping paper with glee and don’t forget to blog all about it so that I can read and be a little jealous.
Here in Japan Christmas time is a lovers dating time, but the children still believe in the mystery of the family tree and put their cookies out for Santa.

How about a walk down memory lane?

Here is my post for Christmas 2003
http://andreainjapan.blogspot.com/2003/12/ok-not-quite-to-sure-what-actually.html

Here is my post for Christmas 2004
http://andreainjapan.blogspot.com/2004/12/i-had-lovely-christmas-day.html





Return Home

Posted by (Top)Andrea::12/23/2005 :: 10 Comments:

Post/Read Comments

---------------------------------------