Wednesday, February 11, 2009

like OMG!!!

You have got to be kidding me!!
This is the article

Canadian expats risk becoming 'second-class' citizens: study


Ok it is really this paragraph that made my mouth drop open:

"Of particular current concern is a new law, set to come into affect in April that will prevent children born to or adopted by Canadians outside the country from passing citizenship on to their children if they are also born abroad - in other words children born to naturalized Canadians would not have the same citizenship rights as children of those born in Canada.

The new rules "will create a two-tiered system with children born or adopted overseas relegated to an 'inferior' class of citizenship," Mr. Zhang said. The controversy over the new legislation has been front page news in the main English language newspaper in Hong Kong where there are about a quarter of a million Canadian passport holders."


You have got to be kidding me!!!

My daughter was born in Japan. I am Canadian and my husband is Chinese. There is no Japanese blood in her anywhere which automatically meant she is not eligible for Japanese citizenship in any way ever. If I were to have had her in the next few months we would have been forced to make her citizenship Chinese - something neither of us wanted for her.

This is the most ludicrus thing I have ever read ever.





Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Return Home

Posted by (Top)Andrea::2/11/2009 :: 6 Comments:

Post/Read Comments

---------------------------------------