Thursday, January 12, 2006
Oh my!! Andrea just posted a recipe & she doesn't cook!!!
I just typed this out for CaliGirl, so I thought I would include it here. I dont generally cook but I was tagged as part of a recipe exchange so I thought what the heck, eh?
Korean Style Rice Porridge (Kankokufu zosui)
Makes 4-6 servings
600g/1 2/3 lb cooked rice
150g/5 oz thinly sliced beef
50g/1 2/3 oz carrot
40 g/1 2/3 oz carrot
40g/1 1/3 oz boiled bamboo shoots
4 fresh shiitake mushrooms
10cm/4 inch piece thick green onion
30g/1 oz Chinese scallions (nira)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
5 cups chicken stock
1.5 teaspoons salt
Dash of pepper
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon kochujang, Korean soybean paste
1 teaspoon powdered hot chilli pepper
1 teaspoon grated garlic
1. Cut the beef into 2 cm/ ¾ inch-wide pieces
2. Cut the carrot into 3cm/1 ¼ inch-long strips. Cut the bamboo into similar size strips. Remove and discard the stems of the shiitake mushrooms and then cut them into 1 cm/ ½ inch wide slices.
3. Thinly slice the piece of thick green onion at a diagonal. Cut the Chinese scallions into 4 cm/1 ½ inch long pieces.
4. Heat the sesame oil in a pot and sauté the beef. When the outside of the meat has cooked, add the carrot, bamboo shoots, shiitake mushrooms (in that order) and continue to sauté for a short time longer. Add the chicken stock.
5. When the mixture reaches a boil, season with the salt, pepper, soy sauce, kochujang, powdered hot chilli pepper, and grated garlic. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes over low heat.
6. Mix in the rice. After the mixture has returned to a boil, continue to cook for 1-2 minutes longer. Then sprinkle the chopped green onions and Chinese scallions over the rice mixture.