Monday, October 03, 2005

Turn the temperature down, please!

You know how there is a
Toyota Corolla
Or a
Honda Accord?
Well today I saw a
Daihatsu Naked.
I think it was a Daihatsu.

Anyway it is now Tuesday and already this is one long week.

I was woken up on Monday morning at 3AM by a crying, feverish, VERY unhappy baby.
I took a holiday from work yesterday to tend to JiXiang, who was in a bad state all day. Her temperature was going up and down and making her jump between irritable and happy. At one point her temperature hit 38.6 just before lunch.
I brought her to the doctor when that happened.
My kids’ doctor speaks English. I love him.
He looked her over and was not overly happy with what he saw. He pricked her ear and drew some blood (she didn’t like that) and did a checking of it.
Now here is a HUGE difference in doctors.
At our children’s clinic there is a microscope attached to a fancy ass computer sitting on each doctor’s desk. If he wants to check the kids blood he does it right there. I arrived just before two in the afternoon and was at the medicine store before three.
He stuck her blood under the microscope and 10 minutes later I was called back with his results. He actually turned on the camera and let me see. He explained everything. Very cool.
JiXiang’s white blood count was a little high, indicating an infection, and he showed me these special cells that occur when bacteria is present. He checked her ears but we both think it is a cold of sorts. She was very unhappy about the entire thing.
She has two medicines that she needs.
Her temperature remained stable last night and was totally normal this morning.
She actually leapt into my arms when I bent to pick her up.
She is like a completely different baby from yesterday.
She is at daycare today and is not perfect but is ok. I phoned them at lunch. Her temperature was not perfect but is ok.
Tomorrow I have had to take another day off, as the doctor wants to see her again.
Thank god for paid holidays!!

One VERY COOL thing did happen yesterday.
I phoned my granny yesterday morning. While I was talking to her I was sitting on the floor and JiXiang was standing in between my knees using my knee for balance. She was in a low temperature state so was feeling a little ok. I had given her a cookie to chew on and she was listening to me talk to grandma.
All of a sudden I was going:

-OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!!! OHOHOHOHHOHOOH!!!

Poor Grandma was all worried on the other end.

MY BABY STOOD ALL BY HERSELF!!!!

For all of about 4 seconds, but she did it. She just calmly let go of my knee to help her other hand with the cookie then put her hand back on my knee. I don’t even think she realized she had done it. My eyes popped out of my head and my heart was racing a million miles a minute.
AUGH!!!
According to grandm, both her and my Aunt Ruth were standing and walking by 10 months. And today I was talking to my friend Hisano, who just returned from maternity leave, and her daughter was walking by 9 months. Something tells me I will be able to add JiXiang to that list.
Swelling chest of pride going on over here.
ahhhhh.


Return Home

Posted by (Top)Andrea::10/03/2005 :: 4 Comments:

Post/Read Comments

---------------------------------------