Saturday, July 30, 2005

Music fills the soul

It was Crazy Perry ‘Puff Dragon’ D that made me fall in love with Stevie Ray Voghn.
God rest both their souls.
Perry made me sit on the shooter bar at work and really listen to this great cover band called ‘Texas Flood’. Excellent band. Personally not dance music. It is the type of music that makes me want to sit in a comfortable chair with a class of something good and shake my head into a trance.

I love music.
When I moved to Japan I packed all 200+ of my CDs into those CD book things and chucked all their cases. They fit into 4 giant books and 3 smaller books. I stuffed them into my backpack as precious cargo and carried them on the plane with me. Almost broke my damn back.

Since coming here I have probably bought at least a hundred more and have filled about 20 Mini Discs full.

I basically ignore pop music as most of it is shite, but there are a few that I listen to. I have their CDs for the odd house cleaning day. I would never go to one of their concerts though. Rap is total shite to me, sorry, I just have no ability to respect it. I hate music with fake instruments yet I love St. Germain, Enya and Enigma.

My father and his old records made me fall in love with classic rock long before it was cool for my age generation to listen to it.

I was heavily influenced by peer pressure and became a huge Bon Jovi fan, and closet classic rock fan, through Junior high. One day I woke up and said ‘I hate this shit!!’ I tore all the pictures of the band off my wall and chucked them in the garbage, then gave most of the music I was listening to to my brother.
I kept the overly cool life size picture of Billy Idol, that Uncle Bill found, on my ceiling above my bed. He had a sneer that I found quite attractive in a sick way as the guy wasn’t good looking.

My mothers love of live concerts made me appreciate the beauty of blues.

I went to a bluegrass festival in my home town with my dad many odd years ago and we saw this 19 year old from Seattle play Mozart on a banjo. Changed my whole perspective completely. Fell in love with Old County. I adore bluegrass now.

My sister and I went to the Mission Music Folk Festival and we both fell head over heels in love with East cost Irish and Scottish Folk. The fiddle ROCKS! GREAT BIG SEA!!!!!!
I had a crush on the cute little skinny drummer from this crazy ban called ‘Scrooge Mc Duck’.

I think Jazz is beautiful and quite enjoy French Jazz. New Orleans Jazz has a lovely beat to it as well. Harry Connik Junior put out a lovely CD called ‘SHE’. He called it his BBQ CD. It is the best and so much fun to listen to. I used to have a tape of it and when I was driving my dads old Land Cruiser with its boom box I used to CRANK it. Not the usual boom box music one expected to hear at the stop light, but my head would be bopping away. Sinead O’Conner did an amazing!! Jazz CD. Her voice is WOW!! She does ‘Don’t Cry For Me Argentina’ better than any one else I have heard.

Reading between the lines I finally figured out what radio station Holy works at and am now listening to live feed and totally enjoying myself while reading Harry Potter. How is that for a screw mix?

MUSIC
Is a moral law
It gives soul to the universe,
wings to the mind,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
gaiety and life to everything.
It is the essence of order and lends to
all that is good and just and beautiful.

Plato


Return Home

Posted by (Top)Andrea::7/30/2005 :: 1 Comments:

Post/Read Comments

---------------------------------------