|
Sunday, March 06, 2005 JiXiang is sleeping and Grandma Li is actually leaving her alone <>She arrived on Saturday evening and was obviously excited to see her only grandchild so I sat back let her gloat and hold. No problems. JiXiang slept no problems that night. I was basically ok about the whole ordeal. Then Sunday came along and I started to notice little things like:> <> Grandma brought no clothes with her! Literally one pair of pants, one skirt, one shirt set and a jacket. Two pairs of shoes but they are both ridiculous heels and NOT for walking in. (Remember we don’t have a car) > She brought more jewelry and candy than clothes. She, you wont believe this, brought apples. YES CHINESE APPLES! Grandma has never traveled anywhere before and didn’t know about the no fruits and veggies traveling into other countries rule. She brought about 20 bloody apples in her suitcase. I think my eyes popped out of my head in shock and horror. Thank GOD her suitcases were not opened at the airport. She can’t change a diaper. I am in awe watching her attempt to change Ji. That awe turned to horror and slight controlled freaking out today when she allowed Ji to pee all over the blanket sent to me by my mother. Don’t worry mom it turned out to be machine washable but I was a little worried for a bit. She watches me all the time changing Ji and has on a few occasions had the gaullity to actually push me out of the way and start to wipe her down but she still screws up! She has obviously never driven any type of motorized vehicle or anything that requires steering because her pushing of the stroller is a little scary. Her questions and queries about JiXiang’s little skin things and other baby oddities have made my eyebrows raise a bit. That is until I remember that Li was actually raised by his grandparents until they died when he was only 3 months old and then by one of his aunts. His mother never actually looked after him when he was a baby. This makes me a little nervous. Hmmmm Yesterday Li had to explain to her that Chinese thinking, Japanese thinking, and Canadian thinking is all different so please no comments Jixiang is totally fine! Also, due to the fact that she is a first time grandma (I really hope this will pass sooooooooonnnn!!) she will not leave JiXiang alone! She also doesn’t know how to play with a baby. She wants to hold her allllll the time but when she does all she does is walk in circles and sing, or talk non stop, until JiXiang falls asleep. (This is a wonderful attribute for a colicky baby but she is not colicky) She never talks to her face, bounces her or just plays. Last night Li had her in his arms for all of 3 minutes. He was playing with her doing what I call ‘daddy time’ as Li’s time is limited, and grandma pulled Ji out of his arms and started rocking her to sleep. AUGH! My face contorted instantly into what Li calls my ‘bitch face’ and he quickly sat beside me and started to hold my hand. Last night Ji would not sleep!!! She had had almost no stimulation during the day because grandma would only rock her to sleep. I finally got Ji into bed and sleeping at 2 in the morning but only after I plopped her down on the bed and started playing with her. She giggled, cooed and squirmed like a monkey for almost an hour, then she fell asleep. I think I might have made some headway with grandma today. I wouldn’t let her pick up Ji out of her rocking chair. I made her leave Ji in there and let Ji fall asleep on her own. I was able to get it through her head that this morning was not a sleeping time for Ji but a playing time. I was also able to get some tummy time and ‘bare bottom in the sun time’ today. Today Ji’s sleeping pattern is a bit more on the normal side. I am totally off my sleeping pattern so I pray that Ji sleeps her normal self tonight. <>I have also noticed that my arms feel empty all the time. I am so used to having Ji in my arms when she is crying or awake that I have this odd empty feeling now as grandma jumps in there now. I have been a little bit of a bitch today and not let her hold her as much. I also wouldn’t let her give my baby a bath. I like giving Ji a bath. > Hell it is MY baby! I don’t feel in the way guilty. I have to go back to work. The books said it would be hard and all my family members said it would be hard. Now I am saying –
Posted by (Top)Andrea::3/06/2005 ::
0 Comments:
|